If you’ve been a reader of I’m Just A Girl for a while now, you may remember that last year I started a series about ‘The Ultimate Travel Bucket Lists‘ for various places including the UK, Europe, USA and Asia.
However, one place that I omitted from my series is actually the first place that I’m travelling to on our trip around the world – Oceania! When doing research for this post, I discovered that everything I thought I knew about geography was in fact a lie; apparently Australia itself is a continent, but then Oceania is also classed as a continent?! I got so confused as to what to call this post so I settled on the ultimate Oceania bucket list in the end, so that everything I want to do in that part of the world was covered!
Here’s my ultimate Oceania bucket list – a comprehensive list of everything I want to see and do in Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Fiji plus more!
Oceania Travel Bucket List
Of course, my ultimate Oceania bucket list had to start with the first stop on our trip around the world; New Zealand.
Some of you may know that I used to live in New Zealand (only for 8 months) but I’m SO unbelievably excited to head back there and finally head to the South Island – something which I didn’t do before.
Not only that, but I also can’t wait to explore more of the North Island and the place where I used to live.
- Stay on Waiheke Island (again)
- Watch an All Blacks Rugby game
- Face my immense fear of whales and go whale watching in Kaikoura
- Climb up and bungee jump off the Auckland Sky Tower
- See glowworms in Waitomo Caves (again)
- Go skydiving
- Hike the Tongariro Alpine Crossing
- Explore the Hobbiton movie set (even though I’ve never seen the films, oops!)
- Go Zorbing
- Enjoy some of the thermal spring pools
- Admire Mount Cook
- Take a boat trip to White Island
- Visit Milford Sound
- Watch the stars from Lake Tekapo
- Hike up Mount Maunganui (again)
- Kayak in the Abel Tasman National Park
- Try and catch a glimpse of the Southern Lights near Dunedin
- Take a helicopter ride to Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier
- Complete as many of New Zealand’s incredible walks and hiking trails as possible
Australia is somewhere that I’ve been longing to visit for so long now. While I’m pretty damn terrified of the wildlife there (I have such a bad phobia of spiders!) I really am so excited to explore one of the most incredible places in the world.
- Visit the Sydney Opera House
- See Ayers Rock
- Road trip across the West Coast (Melbourne to Brisbane)
- Go surfing at Byron Bay
- Visit Kangaroo Island
- Sail around the Whitsundays
- Climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge
- Go on a hot air balloon ride in Canberra
- Visit the Victoria Peninsula Hot Springs
- Explore some of the Great Barrier Reef
- See a wild koala/kangaroo
- Go scuba diving
Fiji is a place that I constantly see popping up on my Instagram feed and it always gives me such intense wanderlust. The stunning blue ocean and abundance of islands make Fiji an absolute dream destination! Fiji is a place that’s on my Oceania travel bucket list for sure, and it’s a place that I really hope I get to spend lots of time in!
- Explore Kula WILD Adventure Park
- Go canoeing
- See the Garden of the Sleeping Giant
- Visit the Castaway Island
- Go ziplining
- See Tavarua (the heart shaped island)
- Go snorkelling and diving
- Spend time in the local villages
Just one Google or Instagram search of the French Polynesia will literally have you pining in wanderlust. It really does look like one of the most beautiful places in the world and I really hope that Matt and I get to explore some of it when we go travelling.
- Stay in a beautiful resort in Bora Bora
- Go snorkelling, diving and surfing
- See the waterfalls in Tahiti
- Sleep in a hut over the water
- Spend a full day relaxing on the beach
- Visit the Belvedere lookout
- Experience the French Polynesian culture
- See wild turtles
- Enjoy some of the delicious cuisine
Papua New Guinea
I can’t say that Papua New Guinea has been on my travel bucket list forever, but it’s certainly made its way on to my ultimate Oceania bucket list because after doing some research, there are suddenly plenty of things I want to see and do there!
- Visit the Port Moresby Nature Park
- Hike (some of) the Kokoda Trail
- See the Asaro Mudmen
- Visit the National Museum and Art Gallery
- Eat/drink at Duffy’s cafe
- Spend time swimming in the ocean
- Relax on the many beaches
Reading back on this post, I’ve realised that there a quite a few things on my Oceania travel bucket list. It certainly seems that my time travelling is going to be incredibly busy but as we get ever closer to setting off, my excitement only seems to be increasing!
Are there any other places you’d add to my Oceania travel bucket list? Let me know in the comments or on Twitter @imjustagirl_16.