6   56
13   114
19   85
16   99
7   71

A Week In The Life Of A Freelance Writer

life of a freelance writer

Before I became a freelance writer and started working from home for myself, I always wondered what other self-employed people’s days looked like.

Were they constantly heading to glamourous events, business lunches and exciting meetings? Did they spend half an hour responding to emails and then the rest of the day watching Netflix? It always fascinated me whenever I read other people’s posts about their day or week in the life of a freelancer.

So when I became one myself, I knew that I eventually wanted to put together my own post, in order to provide a little more insight into what I actually do on a daily basis.

This recap of events of a week in the life of a freelance writer is from a couple of weeks ago, just before our trip to Oslo. It’s also important to remember that every single week, day and hour looks different when working for yourself, so please bear that in mind when reading this post!

A week in the life of a freelance writer

life of a freelance writer

Monday

4am: Wake up, make a cup of tea and a hot water bottle because it’s bloody freezing, write 2,250 words for a freelance client.

7am: Make Pinterest graphics and finish upcoming blog post. Make another cup of tea because I’ve already been up for three hours and my caffeine levels are running low…

8am: My latest blog post goes live, I promote it on Facebook, Twitter and on Pinterest using Tailwind (Pinterest is actually my highest source of traffic – is this something you’d like to know more about in a separate blog post?). Have a browse (read: procrastinate) through Twitter and Instagram.

9am: Make breakfast – scrambled egg on toast and another cup of tea. I catch up on some latest posts on Bloglovin from my favourite bloggers.

9.30am: Wash up the pots from breakfast, put a load of washing on and wash my face and brush my teeth.

10am: Email some brands that I need to chase up about potential collaborations.

11am: Work on a client post about Amsterdam (haven’t finished it at this stage but send the first draft off to client for review).

12pm: Start officially getting ready for the day – have a shower, do my makeup and hair etc.

1pm: Matt arrives home from work while I’m setting my up camera to take some blog pictures, he helps because I’m struggling with some settings…

2pm: We head out for lunch at Cosy Club and snap a few pics in the Museum Gardens along the way.

3.30pm: We head to Primark and Boots to pick up a few things for our trip to Oslo on Friday.

4.30pm: We arrive home and I sort the washing out from this morning, tidy up a bit and light some candles, just as it’s starting to get dark.

5.30pm: We officially begin unwinding down for the evening, I read some of my favourite travel books and play Mario Kart on the Game Cube (because we’re obviously 12…).

Tuesday

4am: I wake up when Matt goes to work again, make a cup of tea and a hot water bottle because it’s freezing again. I then write 3,750 words for a freelance client and send over the finished posts.

7.30am: Engage on Instagram and reply to comments on last night’s Instagram post.

8am: I eat breakfast (scrambled egg on toast, cup of tea, orange juice) and read Bloglovin for half hour.

8.30am: Wash up pots, brush my teeth, wash my face. I then analyse analytics of my latest blog posts and schedule some posts on Tailwind. I then have another quick browse on Instagram.

10am: I write my post on best travel books, make Pinterest graphics for the post and schedule it to go live on Thursday afternoon.

12pm: Make a veggie chicken burger sandwich and read some of my travel book while I wait for Matt to get home.

1pm: Matt arrives home and we chat and talk about our respective days. We also discuss some ideas for things we can see and do in Oslo.

2pm: We plan to go for a run but lazily have a nap instead as we’re both pretty tired from two consecutive 4am starts.

3pm: Wake up from an accidentally long nap and I get ready to meet my grandma for dinner – something we do on a monthly basis to have a catch up.

4.30pm: My newly ordered tripod arrives so we have a go at getting that to work. I break it, Matt fixes it and then I decide to leave it a little while until I know how to actually use it…

5pm: I post on Instagram, hashtag it, engage with others and reply to comments. I’m finding Instagram a little difficult at the moment (who isn’t?!) so I make a note that I need to find new and better ways of using the app.

5.30pm: I head out for dinner with my grandma at the Lysander Arms in York and tuck into a delicious meal and enjoy a lovely catch up with her.

life of a freelance writer

Wednesday

7.30am: I wake up a little later today as I didn’t think I had as much to do and lay in bed scrolling through all my social media channels for half an hour.

8am: I make a cup of tea (but no hot water bottle as it’s not nearly as cold this morning!), water our plants, spill water all over the floor, clean it up and then put a load of washing on.

8.30am: Start writing the first couple of days of this post so I don’t forget what I’ve done and reply to a couple of emails from last night.

9am: I email back a few brands and have breakfast, ( I had a fried egg today, just for variety lol) and then I get dressed for the day.

10am: I spend an hour and half writing 1600 words for a travel client, then send the posts off to the client for review.

11.30am: Have a catch up with my mum on the phone and talk about our upcoming travel plans, how freelancing is going and how my family are up in the Lake District.

12pm: Write a 2000 word article for travel client (I’m actually finishing the Amsterdam post from yesterday).

1pm: I have lunch and get us checked in for our flights to Oslo on Friday.

2pm: I work on more client work (the Amsterdam travel guide as I still haven’t bloody finished it).

3pm: We go for a very short run and I arrive back feeling like my lungs are going to explore and my legs are going to fall off. I’m not fit at all…

3.30pm: Matt’s mum comes round for coffee as we haven’t seen her in a while and won’t see her until we get back from Oslo.

4.30pm: I get ready for an event with Rush Hair that I’m attending this evening and quickly cook and eat dinner (vegetarian Philly cheese steak sandwiches) before I go.

6.30pm: I attend the event at Rush Hair and catch up with some familiar blogging faces as well as meeting some people I’ve known online for a while, but never actually met.

8pm: I arrive home and get ready for bed and watch the latest episode of Brooklyn 99 with Matt.

Thursday

8am: I wake up a little later again today because I’m going to get virtually no sleep tonight as we have to go to the airport at 2.50am tomorrow! I promote my latest blog post, schedule tweets and graphics on Tailwind and put my biggest, chunkiest cardigan on because it’s cold and miserable outside. I then watch Helene’s first Instagram course video.

9am: Work on 1600 words for a travel client (not the Amsterdam guide this time as I finally finished it!).

10am: I make and eat breakfast – (today I have jam on toast as I’m getting a little bored of having eggs every single day). I then have a scroll through Instagram.

10.30am: I do more client work on travel insurance and the exchange rate and send the finished posts off to the client for approval.

12.30pm: I start packing my case for Oslo, sort my makeup bag out and get rid of a few bits, I then dye my eyebrows at home because I still have a kit left and I can’t justify spending £20 on someone else doing it for me…

1.30pm: Matt arrives home and we go for a quick run. We have lunch together (veggie bacon and cheese toastie) and then Matt heads out to meet his friend for the afternoon.

2pm: I spend some time tidying up a few loose ends and letting clients know that I’ll be “out of office” for a few days while I’m in Oslo.

3.30pm: Once I’ve had a quick shower and got changed, I go to the pub around the corner to meet Matt and his friend for a few drinks, some pub games and their homemade pizza.

6pm: I walk over to the Minster, armed with all my camera equipment to attend a night time photography class. The class is incredible (albeit very cold outside…) and I learn lots of new things about photography and my camera itself.

9pm: I get home and we get pretty much straight into bed as we have to be up in a few hours to get the train to the airport.

Friday

I’m wasn’t really sure whether to include Friday in this post as I technically didn’t do any work at all.

We arrived in Oslo just after lunchtime and then spent the day exploring and eating. I did decide to include this day in this post however, as it’s not a common occurrence that I spend every Friday “out of office”. I still wanted to give you a true reflection on my week as a freelance writer.

As our trip to Oslo also helped me to produce travel content that I love, the trip was actually still spent technically working. I had to take plenty of pictures, think of content ideas and make sure I made a note of everything we did and ate so I could document it.

Naturally, that’s not the hardest day in the world and I am so unbelievably lucky that I get to do it for a living. But as it was still kind of work, I wanted to include it in this post!

My life as a freelance writer and travel blogger is constantly varied and throws new challenges at me pretty much every single day. Despite the often inconsistencies of travel blogging and freelance writing, I wouldn’t change my job for the world and I know I’m incredibly lucky to be able to do something that I’m so passionate about!

life of a freelance writer

Is this what you thought the life of a freelance writer looked like? What does a week in the life of your job look like? Give me a brief insight into it in the comments or let’s start a discussion on Twitter @imjustagirl_16.

1. 25th February 2019 / 5:08 pm

This is a cool insight into what it’s like to be a freelancer – thank you! I’ve never worked like this before and it seems quite repetitive, so I see why only people who truly love what they do succeed! What does Matt do for a job?

• 25th February 2019 / 7:21 pm

Thank you Millie! He works for Northern Rail as a train controller! So basically whenever there’s an issue with the trains, he has to sort it out so blame him for any northern train disruptions haha! X

2. 25th February 2019 / 5:08 pm

Oooh I love that sort of post. it is so great to have an insight into your daily life, how your working day is, especially for someone who might consider going full time freelancer! I can only guess that yes, no day is the same and each day has its own challenge but that’s what make it exciting

3. 25th February 2019 / 5:13 pm

I love love love posts like this, I find them so fascinating! (And yes please share your Pinterest wisdom!) I think my favourite thing about freelancing was how no two days were the same, and I’ve loved reading about your week. Well done on the two 4am starts!
    Hels xx

• 25th February 2019 / 7:20 pm

Thanks babe! And yes! I love the non-routine aspect and how anything can happen on any day! Xx

4. 25th February 2019 / 5:18 pm

This was such a great post and such great insight to know about your work! You wake up super early and that’s great, I thought if anything you’d wake up later!

I’d love to know more about how you use Pinterest for blog traffic as we’ve just started to try it but it’s be nice to find how we’d make the most of it!

Jessica & James | http://www.foodandbaker.co.uk

• 25th February 2019 / 7:19 pm

Thank you guys! And a blog post on Pinterest is definitely something I could do if you’d find that helpful! 🙂

5. 25th February 2019 / 5:29 pm

This is such an eye-opening and interesting post! As someone that’s also self-employed and working from home, it was really interesting to hear about how your day differs to mine! First of all, you get up at 4AM?! I can’t even comprehend that! I’m usually awake and up at 8. But my boyfriend works until 7/8 most days and doesn’t leave home until 8:30am.

I’d love to know more about your freelance career. It’s something I’d love to get into, as well as my blog, writing for clients. But honestly I have no idea where to start! This is a really inspiring post <3

Jenny

• 25th February 2019 / 7:18 pm

Thank you Jenny! And the 4am starts aren’t always ideal, so it’s important to me to get up at that time when I can, but also give myself a lie in when I want to as well! And if you have any questions at all about freelancing, please just message! I’d be more than happy to answer any and all questions lovely! Xx

6. 25th February 2019 / 5:30 pm

This is such an interesting post, Chloe! As I was reading through I though yikes, 4am everyday? I was kinda glad you had some lie-ins as I was starting to feel lazy with my 8am starts, lol. It sounds like you have to be really motivated to work freelance. I love that each day sounds so different and interesting, this is definitely a career I would love to do! Thanks for sharing, really enjoyed reading this <3 xx

Bexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

• 25th February 2019 / 7:17 pm

Thank you so much Bexa! 4am starts definitely aren’t something I could do every single day but for a couple of days it was good! X

7. betterthangoodenough123
    25th February 2019 / 5:37 pm

This was a really interesting read for me. When we take the time to keep track of what we do in a day, it can really be amazing to see how productive we have been. I’m not a free-lance writer, though I would love to be. I blog and I have a full time job, too. But my 4am to 9am sounds a lot like yours.Thanks for sharing this!
    Joan Senio
    My Best Friend Adeline

8. 25th February 2019 / 5:40 pm

I’m a newly established freelance writer and find that everyday truly is different. I’m just like you, I wake up at different times. Not gonna lie, I do schedule time slots to binge-watch shows???? Thanks for sharing this post, I want to write one like this too❤️

Natonya | https://justnatonya.wordpress.com

• 25th February 2019 / 7:16 pm

Haha that’s definitely important part of freelancing! Xx

• 25th February 2019 / 10:30 pm

Exactly, gotta schedule some free time to lounge without the guilt 🙂

9. aimsysantics
    25th February 2019 / 5:42 pm

Such a great insight into the working week of a freelancer! I always wondered what a full-time compared to a part time blogger looks like. Sounds like you had to juggle lots of different articles at once! I don’t envy the 4a.m. starts, although I’m up at 5a.m. for work!

Thanks for sharing!

Aimsy xoxo

• 25th February 2019 / 7:15 pm

Thank you Aimsy! And 4am is not an ideal wake up time every day haha! X

10. 25th February 2019 / 5:42 pm

Love reading this cause i’m so nosey, I hope you had a great trip xx

• 25th February 2019 / 7:14 pm

Thank you Kate! I had a great time 🙂 x

11. 25th February 2019 / 5:59 pm

This is so interesting. I’ve been super interested in freelancing and what it involves so this was fab to read

12. Lisa's Notebook
    25th February 2019 / 6:05 pm

I’m a freelancer too (content creation and social media management) and I have picked up a LOT of tips on being organised from this post! I don’t think I could cope with 4am starts though, that’s a step too far. But getting up earlier is a good idea, I’m usually awake at 6.00am anyway so it would be a far better use of productive time than slothing in bed, haha 🙂

Lisa | http://www.lisasnotebook.com

• 25th February 2019 / 7:14 pm

Ah that’s amazing! Thank you Lisa! And I think 6am is still early enough to get up haha! X

13. 25th February 2019 / 6:30 pm

Our days are so different ????. I work from home too and I find I’m way more focused and productive at night so I do most of my writing from about 9pm – 2am. My daytime is saved for photos and emails etc. I don’t think I could get up that early! x

Sophie

• 25th February 2019 / 7:13 pm

Ah really?! I know a lot of people work better at night and I think I used to when I just blogged but now I freelance too, I struggle at night! Xx

14. Lauren
    25th February 2019 / 9:11 pm

This was such an interesting read, I love stuff like this!
    I’d love to read a separate post on driving traffic to your blog through Pinterest, I’ve been using the free trial of Tailwind but I’d love to know more about how you’ve built up traffic through Pinterest!

Lauren x

• 25th February 2019 / 9:32 pm

Thank you Lauren! And I can definitely work on that post! X

15. 26th February 2019 / 10:57 am

I’m so nosy I love having these sneak peeks into what people’s lives are like – especially when it comes to freelance writers because that’s a path I’m looking at going down myself. Your week seems to be so well balanced between work & fun & exercise though (it almost makes me want to have a 4am start myself!).

Cordelia || cordeliamoor.com

16. 3rd March 2019 / 10:02 am

Ooh those 4am starts sound a little painful. Thanks for sharing your days, very insightful.

• 4th March 2019 / 11:15 am

They’re not the best but worth it in the end haha!

17. 3rd March 2019 / 10:12 am

As if you got up at 4am two days in a row!! That’s impressive! This is a really interesting post, loved reading it as freelance writing is something I’d love to get into in the future.

Nell || http://adventureswithnell.co.uk

18. 3rd March 2019 / 1:18 pm

Vyer interesting post, I really enjoyed this. I am full-time from home already as a translator, but am looking to get into more content creation, so this was very helpful.

• 4th March 2019 / 11:15 am

Thank you Mary, I’m glad you found it useful!

19. 3rd March 2019 / 9:55 pm

I loved this post! I’ve not read something like this before but your days sounds very fulfilling which is great! x

• 8th March 2019 / 8:45 am