12   73
15   80
12   87
14   114
18   118

How To Plan A Weekend Away On A Budget

a weekend away on a budget

Weekend breaks are often my favourite type of holiday as you’re able to see and enjoy a certain place in just a few days. Whether it’s travelling to somewhere in Europe, or you decide to just spend a weekend in a nearby city, weekends away are often just what we need.

We’ve been on our fair share of weekends away over the past year or so and we’ve always managed to do everything we want while we’re away. You don’t have to spend lavish amounts of money on a holiday in order for you to enjoy yourself; sometimes the best places are the unexpected ones.

In today’s post, I’m sharing all my best tips and tricks on how to treat yourself to a weekend away on a budget.

a weekend away on a budget

Plan ahead

This may seem like a blantantly obvious point to make but it’s one that can often be overlooked. Most people get around 28 days annual leave per year, and with the additional bonus of bank holidays and weekends, it can actually be remarkably easy to sneak in plenty of trips throughout the year.

Sit down at the start of the year and work out roughly when you’d like to take a trip; take into account all the possible bank holidays and you’ll find that you have a pretty good selection of dates available to take a weekend break.

Do your research

There’s been countless times when I’ve heard the words “Ooh, so and so is very expensive at that time of year!”. While it’s true that many of the major tourist hotspot destinations will pull on the purse strings a little bit, it’s also important to remember that there are ways around it.

Doing your research before your trip can really help you to save a few pennies without having to scrimp out on the things you want to do. Naturally, the most popular tourist places will be more expensive so it’s a good idea to look at restaurants/bars/attractions off the beaten track. Not only will you discover something that you’d have otherwise missed, but you’ll also be saving a pretty penny too. Also, if you’re only there for a weekend then your time will be pretty precious so it’s ideal to find things that you don’t have to queue for hours to see!

Make sure you get the best deals on your flights

When booking flights to anywhere, whether it’s a week away in Spain or just a trip over to Budapest, Matt and I always take to the likes of Skyscanner and Google flights to find the cheapest deals. If you can be flexible with your dates, e.g. opting to go for the end of March instead of the beginning for example, then you can find yourself saving a decent amount of money.

It’s no secret that airlines change the prices of their flights depending on things like season and demand so by making sure you’re as flexible as possible when it comes to your weekend away can really help you save.

Pre-book any activities or tours before you go

Our biggest mistake when we went to Amsterdam is that we didn’t think to book things before we went so it meant we missed out on the likes of the Anne Frank museum and the Van Gogh museum. As we were only there for a few days, it meant we should have booked beforehand as there were no available tickets on the days we tried to visit.

One of my biggest tips would definitely to book before your trip as not only are you much more likely to be guaranteed tickets, but you’re also likely to save some money by booking online.

Work with your budget to get the best accomodation possible

My favourite site to use to search for accomodation options is Booking.com as there’s an incredible amount of hotels and apartments available at a range of prices. It’s also a good idea to check the likes of Airbnb as they often have incredible deals at much more affordable prices.

It’s important to look around on various websites at various times of year as well to ensure that you get the best deal possible; sometimes it may be cheaper to go somewhere Thursday to Sunday instead of Friday to Monday, for example.

How To Plan A Weekend Away On A Budget

What are your best tips for planning a weekend away on a budget? Let me know in the comments or on Twitter @imjustagirl_16.

*This post may contain affiliate links.

1. 15th February 2018 / 6:19 pm

These are such great tips Chloe! They’re great for UK trips too! It never hurts to plan ahead for anything, but especially for trips. I go on a lot of solo city breaks so this is a great post for me!

Sian x

18th February 2018 / 3:33 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed it Sian x

2. 15th February 2018 / 7:40 pm

Would love to have a weekend of going on a little trip. Even somewhere close x

3. Robyn Evans
    15th February 2018 / 7:41 pm

Research is always the answer !

4. 15th February 2018 / 7:50 pm

Really good tips here! I would love a good weekend away. Must try and arrange one with Ed without the kids for this year x

18th February 2018 / 3:32 pm

That’s a great idea! X

5. 16th February 2018 / 12:35 pm

It’s so easy to find good deals when going away. I booked a trip to Italy last year and we got such affordable flights! I’m going to London in a few weeks and it’s only for a weekend but if you look around there’s so many really nice hotels that are so budget friendly! x

6. 20th February 2018 / 6:23 pm

We are so alike with this haha! I plan so far ahead it’s embarrassing – I’ve already made my friends commit to spending NYE in Paris as I know the hotels will be so expensive later on! x

G

7. 21st February 2018 / 12:13 pm

This post could not have come at a better time for me Chloe! Right now I’m looking at planning a few getaways for the next year or so and I’m definitely not the best at planning. Booking things beforehand is such a sensible idea but one I always forget to do, I’m a nightmare at booking things! I’m also really going to take into account days off, as I bet you can get some good deals with a long weekend using bank holidays rather than days off.. thank you for this Chloe, hopefully I can sort out some holidays soon!

Sarah | http://www.sazsinclair.com xx

8. 7th March 2018 / 10:17 pm

Loved this post! I feel like I’m quite the expert at booking cheap holidays now, and I’ve achieved that genius status on booking.com so I get extra discount which is nice!! 😂👌🏼 I want to go to Amsterdam at some point soon so make sure to book ahead, thanks for the tip!

Love izzy | http://www.adoseofchatter.com

13th March 2018 / 9:58 pm

Thanks babe! You deffo need to book ahead if you go to Amsterdam! X

9. 19th May 2018 / 10:49 am

Great tips! Also coming from someone who works in programmatic, delete your cookies before you book a flight. It will only knock a couple of pounds off but a couple of pounds is a couple of pounds.

4th June 2018 / 9:31 pm

Thank you Kelly, and yes! That’s definitely a great tip! X

10. 22nd June 2018 / 6:48 am

As a student with a love for travelling, this is exactly the post I needed – especially with summer coming up! Thank you so mch for your tips – I’m definitely going to be referring back to this post in the future and sharing it with likeminded bloggers!

Sending you good vibes!

Nati x | http://www.lifeaftercoffeeblog.com | @NAfterCoffee

27th June 2018 / 12:13 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed it and found it useful Nati! X

11. Jay
    17th July 2018 / 3:49 pm

Great post! For the past year I’ve fallen in love with traveling but felt like I’m never able to really go out because of budgeting. This post helped me a lot with great tips. Can’t wait to use them and be off for a weekend holiday 🙂

Jay