It’s becoming increasingly common for ‘high school’ proms to be a big deal, regardless of where you live. My prom at school was fun although it wasn’t quite what I was expecting; there was a fair bit of stress and planning involved in the whole process.
My prom dress was purple, mid-length and beautiful (to me, at least) but that doesn’t mean that it didn’t take a while to find the right one. Here’s the struggles that girls go through when trying to find the perfect prom dress.
Trying to decide on the style of dress; do I want it long or short? Flowing or figure-hugging? Do I want to show a bit of cleavage or a bit of leg? TOO MANY DECISIONS.
- Colour? I can’t wear pink because Sadie is wearing fuchsia and we might clash. Yellow washes me out and blue doesn’t suit my skin tone.
- I need to figure out my underwear sitch. Should I wear huge Bridget Jones type ‘suck me all in pants’ or should I wear something cuter?
- How many days before prom do I need to fake tan?
- Should I get a darker tan so I look like I’ve walked straight off a plane from California or do I opt for a more subtle glow?
- Back to the dress – I want something that I’ll wear again but that means it needs to be more casual than flashy and fancy.
- Screw it, I’m going fancy, I don’t really need to wear it again.
- High heels, mid-heels or flats? I don’t want to be a short arse but I also don’t want my feet to kill me after an hour.
- I’ll wear heels and bring flats in my bag.
- Shit – that means I need to change my matching clutch that goes perfectly with my dress so that I can fit flat shoes in it.
- Never mind, I won’t bring flats and I’ll just suffer the consequences.
- I wonder if anyone is planning on sneaking alcohol in… If so, where am I going to hide it?
- I’ll just get someone else to sneak it in for me, I’m not changing bags again.
- Oh crap, can I even dance in this dress?!
- I better practice with my heels on too just for good measure.
- No one’s asked me to be their date yet; I’m not too bothered but I need to know if someone does ask me that their tie will match my dress.
- Oh my god. What if someone has the same dress on as me?!
- Should I have a back-up dress and bring it with me just in case?!
- I seriously don’t think that I’m gonna be able to eat in this dress, it’s far too tight and I knew I should have worn my Bridget Jones pants.
- Andddd relax. We’re here and it’s prom night – let’s have fun in this baby!
To travel in style to your prom, check out these prom car hire ideas!
Did you experience any of these struggles at your prom? Let me know in the comments or on Twitter @imjustagirl_16.
*This is a sponsored post but all thoughts and opinions regarding prom dress struggles are entirely my own.